Friday, August 31, 2007

Portsmouth land Diop from Fulham

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has signed midfielder Papa Bouba Diop from Fulham for an undisclosed fee.

Diop had been given the go-ahead to quit by Cottagers boss Lawrie Sanchez after the 29-year-old told him he wanted a new challenge.

"It's nice to be here," Senegal international Diop told the Pompey website. "It's a good move for me and a good move for the club.

"It was an easy decision to make and I am very happy."

Diop said he had a number of offers and Newcastle were one of the clubs linked with him.

He joined Fulham in 2004 from French club Lens and signed a new contract last year.

The powerhouse midfielder was close to a �5m move to Wigan in January but the transfer fell through.

Diop added: "Three years ago was the first time I'd come to England and I didn't understand english football very well.

"Now I understand it very well and i'm happy that I'm at Portsmouth.

"It's different to Fulham. The fans here are hot for 90 minutes."

Source: BBC Sport

No comments: