Friday, November 30, 2007

England hopes ended - Redknapp

Harry Redknapp says his arrest on Wednesday as part of an investigation into alleged corruption has ended his chance of becoming England manager.

The Portsmouth boss was one of five men arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting and has since protested his innocence.

He told BBC Radio Solent: "I'm not saying I would have got the job.

"But through no fault of my own, all this rubbish and disgusting treatment I've had has changed it all really."

Redknapp has guided Portsmouth to seventh place in the Premier League, currently the highest position of all English managers in the top-flight.

And the 60-year-old had said that no English club manager would reject the chance to take the England job should it be offered to them.

But he has now insisted that although he was flattered by links to the post, he was not actively putting himself in the frame.

He added: "I'm not saying I was chasing the job, I love the job I do here, so it wasn't a case of me wanting to leave here.

"But it was nice that people were talking about how well I'd done and how good I am at my job."

Source: BBC Sport

No comments: