Friday, November 30, 2007

Hodgson quits as Finland manager

Roy Hodgson has resigned as coach of Finland following their failure to qualify for Euro 2008.

The Briton's exit could pave the way for an approach for the vacant manager's jobs with England, Scotland or the Republic of Ireland.

Hodgson, previously an outsider to succeed Steve McClaren, was guarded over the England role this week.

"I'll only give my opinion if I receive an offer or an invitation to speak to someone," he told BBC Sport.

Finland, who have never qualified for a major finals, finished a close fourth behind qualifiers Portugal and Poland in Euro 2008 qualifying Group A.

Hodgson's side won 24 points in Group A, in comparison to England who won 23 points in Group E.

The Finnish FA said that Hodgson would help in finding his replacement.

"The FA would have liked to have continued working with Roy Hodgson with whom Finland went so close to qualifying for the Euro 2008 finals," said a statement.

The 60-year-old Hodgson has also been linked with the vacant Republic of Ireland job, while Scotland are also seeking a new coach following Alex McLeish's resignation.

Hodgson led Switzerland to the World Cup finals in 1994 and has also coached club sides Inter Milan and Udinese in Italy as well as Blackburn Rovers.

Earlier this week he said he would be happy to advise the FA over how to improve the game in England if they wanted to talk to him.

"I'd be interested to hear their questions and answer them, but I don't put myself forward as somebody who wants to lecture the FA," he said.

"But if I was asked that question, I'd make myself available, as any Englishmen would, or as I'm sure any international manager would."

Source: BBC Sport

No comments: