Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Landis says he will appeal arbitration loss to CAS

Floyd Landis will appeal a decision that took away his title in the 2006 Tour de France for failing a drug test.

In a note on his Web site, Landis said that he will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to overturn decision by a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency arbitration panel that upheld the results of his initial failed test.

"Knowing that the accusations against me are simply wrong, and having risked all my energy and resources -- including those of my family, friends and supporters -- to show clearly that I won the 2006 Tour de France fair and square, I will continue to fight for what I know is right," Landis wrote on his Web site. "Doping in sport seems to continue to get worse under the current anti-doping system, and this is only a part of the huge amount of proof that the WADA/USADA system needs a total overhaul.

"I will continue to work to clear my name and fight for change in the name of fairness and justice. No matter the final outcome of my case, there must be change in the current system if athletes can ever hope to compete on a level playing field and return to the joy and inspiration that sport can bring all of us."

Following the arbitration loss, Landis said he would consider his options.

"I have to assess whether a system that corrupt is worth subjecting myself to again," Landis told ESPN.com's Bonnie D. Ford on Sept. 20. "I don't have any reason to believe that CAS is any more sincere.

"Money is a large part of it. I have to consider my family when I consider risking everything I have left. It might be like putting all my money in a slot machine."

Landis has repeatedly has denied using performance-enhancing drugs.

According to arbitration hearing documents, the vote was 2-1 to uphold the results of Landis' drug test after the 17th stage of the 2006 Tour de France. Lead arbitrator Patrice Brunet and Richard McLaren voted in the majority and Christopher Campbell dissented.

The 84-page ruling was handed down nearly four months after a bizarre and bitterly fought hearing.

The 2006 Tour de France yellow jersey will be awarded to second-place finisher Oscar Pereiro next week. The International Cycling Union declared Pereiro the winner on Sept. 21, a day after an arbitration panel voted 2-1 to ban Landis for doping.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report


Source: ESPN.com

No comments: