Man Utd 0 - 1 Leeds United
By Chris Bevan
BBC Sport at Old Trafford
Jermaine Beckford's winner gave League One leaders Leeds a famous FA Cup victory over their fierce rivals Manchester United in a thrilling tie at Old Trafford.
Forty-two league places separate the two clubs following the Yorkshire club's dramatic fall from grace during the last decade but Simon Grayson's side showed the rate of their recent revival with a memorable triumph.
Man Utd had never before lost in the third round of the Cup - or been knocked out of it by a lower-division side - during Sir Alex Ferguson's 23-year reign as manager, but they began 2010 on the wrong end of their biggest upset in this competition since they were dumped out by Bournemouth in 1984.
Simon Grayson congratulates goal scorer Jermaine Beckford
It was a fully-deserved win for Leeds too, who were full of endeavour coming forward before Beckford outpaced the Man Utd defence to score and, just as importantly, defended as if their lives depended on it afterwards.
Grayson's men came into the game unbeaten in 15 games and having lost only twice all season but they were still expected to be brushed aside by the Premier League champions, who themselves have found form since their defensive injury crisis abated.
True, Ferguson made seven changes to the side that thumped Wigan earlier in the week, but he kept Dimitar Berbatov and Wayne Rooney together up front and Man Utd should have had far too much fire-power for the visitors to handle.
Instead, roared on by 9,000 fanatical supporters, Leeds set about by first frustrating the hosts and then taking the game to them.
Man Utd had most of the early possession but Leeds were not panicking when they did get the ball, and stunned the home crowd when they took the lead after 19 minutes.
Beckford escaped Wes Brown to latch onto Johnny Howson's superb lofted pass and, although his first touch was poor, he recovered to coolly slide the ball past Tomas Kuszczak and into the bottom corner of the net.
It was the kind of finish which showed why Beckford is one of the most sought-after strikers outside the top-flight and might mean Newcastle have to spend a little more than they hoped if they are to prise him away from Elland Road in the transfer window.
It almost got even better for Leeds two minutes later when the impressive Howson broke forward down the right and sent over an inviting cross that Luciano Becchio headed wide.
Only then did Man Utd come forward with intent and they came agonisingly close to levelling when Berbatov released Rooney down the right. The England striker made for goal and clipped his shot over keeper Casper Ankergren but Jason Crowe got back superbly to hack the ball off the line.
Rooney and Danny Welbeck both tried their luck with curling shots from the edge of the box that were both just off target and Jonny Evans headed wide after Ankergren flapped at a corner but otherwise the home side were unable to break down Leeds' determined defence.
Berbatov and Rooney trudge off after the defeat
The game continued in the same vein after the break, with Man Utd pressing but struggling to create clear-cut chances and Ankergren proving a reliable last line of defence when the home side did get a sight of goal.
He saved brilliantly from Welbeck but otherwise they failed to really threaten an equaliser until the final half-hour.
By then, Antonio Valencia and Ryan Giggs were off the bench - soon to be joined by Michael Owen - and at last Man Utd looked dangerous, only to be thwarted by some dreadful finishing.
Owen miscued with the goal gaping after Valencia teed him up and Rooney was also wildly off target when the ball fell to him in the box.
Leeds were not just defending either, and could have extended their lead before the end when Beckford fired wide after running through and substitute Robert Snodgrass smashed a rasping free-kick against the bar.
There was still time for a couple of desperate goal-mouth scrambles as Man Utd poured forward but in the end one goal was enough to send Leeds through to round four - their first victory at Old Trafford since 1981 - and show why Grayson is rated one the most promising young managers in the game.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 3 January 2010
The FA Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Man Utd||0-1||Leeds United||R|
- 29 Kuszczak
- 02 Neville
- 06 Brown yellow card
- 20 Fabio Da Silva
- 23 Evans
- 08 Anderson (Owen 69)
- 28 Gibson yellow card
- 09 Berbatov
- 10 Rooney
- 19 Welbeck (Valencia 57)
- 26 Obertan (Giggs 57)
- 01 Ankergren
- 02 Crowe
- 03 Kisnorbo
- 06 Naylor yellow card
- 04 Doyle
- 08 Kilkenny
- 14 Howson (Snodgrass 77)
- 16 Johnson yellow card
- 22 Hughes (White 90+2)
- 09 Beckford
- 10 Becchio (Michalik 88)
- 36 Martin,
- 17 Michalik,
- 30 Capaldi,
- 32 White,
- 07 Prutton,
- 13 Grella,
- 23 Snodgrass
- Man Utd 46%
- Leeds United 54%
Attempts on target
- Man Utd 5
- Leeds United 4
Attempts off target
- Man Utd 13
- Leeds United 6
- Man Utd 8
- Leeds United 3
- Man Utd 11
- Leeds United 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:44 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+5:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Antonio Valencia on Bradley Johnson. Direct free kick taken by Bradley Johnson.
- 90:00+3:58 Antonio Valencia takes the outswinging corner, Wayne Rooney has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 90:00+3:41 Darron Gibson takes a shot. Patrick Kisnorbo makes a clearance.
- 90:00+3:28 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Save by Casper Ankergren.
- 90:00+1:53 Substitution Aidan White replaces Andy Hughes.
- 90:00+1:35 Header by Michael Owen from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the goal.
- 88:28 Gary Neville takes the free kick.
- 88:28 Booking Bradley Johnson goes into the referee's book.
- 88:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Bradley Johnson on Antonio Valencia.
- 87:41 Substitution Lubomir Michalik joins the action as a substitute, replacing Luciano Becchio.
- 83:35 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jason Crowe on Michael Owen. Wes Brown restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:53 Robert Snodgrass decides to take the corner short.
- 81:26 Shot from outside the box by Darron Gibson misses to the left of the target.
- 81:10 Antonio Valencia decides to take a short corner.
- 80:41 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fabio Da Silva by Robert Snodgrass. Darron Gibson takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 78:47 Jonathan Evans concedes a free kick for a foul on Jermaine Beckford. Robert Snodgrass fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick,
- 78:47 Jonathan Evans concedes a free kick for a foul on Jermaine Beckford. Strike comes in from Robert Snodgrass from the free kick,
- 78:10 The ball is swung over by Bradley Johnson, save made by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 77:28 Jermaine Beckford has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the left of the target.
- 76:26 Substitution Jonathan Howson leaves the field to be replaced by Robert Snodgrass.
- 76:15 Shot from deep inside the area by Wayne Rooney goes over the bar.
- 74:21 Fabio Da Silva delivers the ball, save by Casper Ankergren.
- 73:12 Jermaine Beckford concedes a free kick for a foul on Jonathan Evans. Tomasz Kuszczak takes the direct free kick.
- 72:22 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Save made by Casper Ankergren.
- 70:23 Shot from deep inside the area by Wayne Rooney goes over the bar.
- 68:17 Substitution Michael Owen joins the action as a substitute, replacing Oliveira Anderson.
- 67:10 The offside flag is raised against Dimitar Berbatov. Patrick Kisnorbo restarts play with the free kick.
- 66:20 The ball is delivered by Antonio Valencia, Patrick Kisnorbo manages to make a clearance.
- 64:55 Wes Brown challenges Jermaine Beckford unfairly and gives away a free kick. Strike on goal comes in from Bradley Johnson from the free kick, save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 63:53 Effort on goal by Fabio Da Silva from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the target.
- 62:21 Corner taken by Ryan Giggs from the left by-line played to the near post.
- 61:46 Shot from long range by Bradley Johnson misses to the right of the target.
- 61:33 Bradley Johnson takes a shot. Save made by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 57:59 Corner taken left-footed by Ryan Giggs to the near post, Richard Naylor manages to make a clearance.
- 56:46 Substitution Ryan Giggs replaces Gabriel Obertan.
- 56:46 Substitution Antonio Valencia on for Danny Welbeck.
- 54:51 Bradley Johnson takes the outswinging corner, clearance by Wes Brown.
- 54:09 Jermaine Beckford fouled by Wes Brown, the ref awards a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Patrick Kisnorbo.
- 53:11 Darron Gibson takes the free kick.
- 53:11 Booking Richard Naylor receives a caution.
- 53:01 Richard Naylor challenges Wayne Rooney unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 52:19 Andy Hughes restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:19 Booking Darron Gibson receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 52:10 Bradley Johnson fouled by Darron Gibson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 49:36 Danny Welbeck takes a shot. Save by Casper Ankergren. Corner taken short by Darron Gibson.
- 46:21 Wayne Rooney produces a cross, Andy Hughes manages to make a clearance. Inswinging corner taken by Oliveira Anderson from the right by-line.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:09 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+0:20 Foul by Jermaine Beckford on Wes Brown, free kick awarded. Wes Brown restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:37 Luciano Becchio sends in a cross, save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 38:57 Foul by Jason Crowe on Danny Welbeck, free kick awarded. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Darron Gibson, Richard Naylor manages to make a clearance. Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Oliveira Anderson, Headed effort from close range by Jonathan Evans goes wide left of the target.
- 38:36 Free kick awarded for a foul by Richard Naylor on Wayne Rooney. Direct free kick taken by Fabio Da Silva.
- 35:22 Patrick Kisnorbo takes the free kick.
- 35:22 Booking Wes Brown goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 35:15 Wes Brown concedes a free kick for a foul on Luciano Becchio.
- 33:00 Effort from the edge of the area by Danny Welbeck goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 31:51 Foul by Luciano Becchio on Wes Brown, free kick awarded. Tomasz Kuszczak takes the free kick.
- 31:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dimitar Berbatov on Patrick Kisnorbo. Free kick taken by Casper Ankergren.
- 29:15 Wayne Rooney produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 28:46 Oliveira Anderson takes the inswinging corner, save made by Casper Ankergren.
- 27:13 Long range effort by Oliveira Anderson goes wide right of the target.
- 25:24 The ball is swung over by Jason Crowe, Close range header by Bradley Johnson goes over the crossbar.
- 24:20 Unfair challenge on Casper Ankergren by Wayne Rooney results in a free kick. Casper Ankergren restarts play with the free kick.
- 23:58 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Clearance made by Jason Crowe.
- 22:46 Dimitar Berbatov gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Richard Naylor. Direct free kick taken by Casper Ankergren.
- 21:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jonathan Howson on Oliveira Anderson. Free kick taken by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 20:25 A cross is delivered by Neil Kilkenny, Luciano Becchio produces a header from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 18:29 The assist for the goal came from Neil Kilkenny.
- 18:29 GOAL - Jermaine Beckford:Man Utd 0 - 1 Leeds United Jermaine Beckford gets on the score sheet with a goal from close in to the bottom right corner of the goal. Man Utd 0-1 Leeds.
- 15:50 Shot from long distance by Oliveira Anderson goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 14:41 Wayne Rooney produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the left of the target.
- 14:22 Fabio Da Silva sends in a cross, clearance made by Patrick Kisnorbo.
- 13:40 A cross is delivered by Gabriel Obertan, save by Casper Ankergren.
- 12:02 Wayne Rooney concedes a free kick for a foul on Patrick Kisnorbo. Casper Ankergren takes the free kick.
- 11:30 Jermaine Beckford takes a shot. Tomasz Kuszczak makes a save.
- 9:24 The ball is crossed by Danny Welbeck.
- 7:33 Bradley Johnson fouled by Oliveira Anderson, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Andy Hughes.
- 6:37 Effort on goal by Jermaine Beckford from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 5:33 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Neil Kilkenny, save by Tomasz Kuszczak.
- 4:24 Wayne Rooney crosses the ball, Casper Ankergren makes a save.
- 1:48 Effort from long distance by Darron Gibson goes wide right of the target.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.