Saturday, September 1, 2007

Classy Calleri ends Hewitt hopes

Former US Open champion Lleyton Hewitt made his earliest ever exit from the tournament after losing 4-6 6-4 6-4 6-2 to Agustin Calleri in round two.

The Argentine world number 58 hit 65 winners on his way to his first career victory over the Australian, who was champion here in 2001.

"Early in the second set, I didn't quite stamp my authority on the match after I'd won the first," said Hewitt.

"I could have put more pressure on. He started to play better from then on."

Calleri had 17 unforced errors in the first set but made just 20 in the rest of the match, and Hewitt admitted the better player won.

"If I hit the ball anywhere half in the middle of the court, dropped it short, he was all over it," said Hewitt, the 2001 Open titlist.

"He didn't miss a lot. And I didn't quite get enough on the ball."

Calleri was understandably delighted with his display.

"I'm feeling very happy because I played the whole match very well. I was very focused," he said.

Source: BBC Sport

No comments: