Saturday, December 8, 2007

Khan floors Earl in first round

Amir Khan celebrated his 21st birthday by demolishing Graham Earl in 72 seconds to retain his Commonwealth lightweight title in Bolton.

Khan floored Earl with a sweeping left inside the first minute and again after unleashing a barrage of blows when the challenger got to his feet.

The referee stepped in with just one minute 12 seconds on the clock.

"I wasn't surprised, I trained very hard. He was number one in Britain and I wanted to beat him," said Khan.

Interview: Amir Khan

"I knew he was under pressure after the first knockdown and I just went for it. I was fighting the best fighter of my career. I knew I had it in the tank."

It was the second defence for Khan in only his 15th professional fight.

Earl, 29, was returning to the ring for the first time since a brutal WBO interim world title defeat at the hands of Australian Michael Katsidis in February.

"I felt alright," said the fighter from Luton. "They shouldn't have stopped that fight.

"My head was clear. It's boxing, you've got to take shots, you don't just jump in and stop it straight away.

"(Khan's) good but it weren't deserved, it weren't earned."

Khan claimed he would fight for a world title "tomorrow" if he had the chance, and said: "It's up to (promoter) Frank Warren - but I'll fight for a world title tomorrow and prove everyone wrong."

Source: BBC Sport

No comments: