Sunday, November 30, 2008

Grant eyes Premier League return

Avram Grant
Grant said he was "very proud" of his achievements at Chelsea

Former Chelsea manager Avram Grant has told the BBC he would love to return to coaching in the Premier League.

The Israeli, who replaced Jose Mourinho as boss in September 2007, lost his job despite taking the team to last season's Champions League final.

"I love the involvement from inside, development, problems, solutions - of course I miss it," he said.

"I hope I'll be back. After so many years it's good to see football from the side but I hope soon I'll be back."

Grant told Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme that he had received offers to return to coaching, but nothing that had caught his eye.

"Yes (I've had offers), more than a few, but for the moment not something I like," he said.

"When you're in the game so long, you want a challenge, to take the team and develop to a higher place, this is what I like to do.

"I loved the Premier League before I came to England, the best atmosphere in the world is here, but anything with a challenge is good for me."

He also said he was "very proud" of what he had done in his time at Chelsea and chose to remember his achievements rather than the nature of his departure.

606: DEBATE

"In any aspect of football - results, atmosphere, the image of the team - in every aspect I left the team much better than I received it," he said,

"Everyone remembers Chelsea with two titles (won under predecessor Jose Mourinho) but when I took them, they were on the way down.

"I took them in September which is not easy to do in the middle of a season without preparation.

"I'm not a man who looks at the past too much, I have so many good memories.

"When I got the job everyone put question marks by my name, but we developed, won some games, had success, got to the Champions League final and were 10cm from winning it, and from many points behind we were nearly (Premier League) champions.

"I can focus on bad moments or good ones, but there are so many good ones so I don't want to remember the decision."

No comments: