Dates: 9-16 November Starts: 0600/1000 GMT daily Coverage: Live on Sky Sports; live text commentaries on BBC Sport website; every match live on Radio 5 Live sports extra
|
Murray and Federer share some tips while practising in Shanghai
|
World number four Andy Murray will face Andy Roddick in his first-ever Masters Cup match at 1200 GMT on Monday.
The pair have been drawn in the Red Group in Shanghai alongside Roger Federer and Gilles Simon, who meet at 1000 GMT on Monday.
Novak Djokovic beat Juan Martin del Potro and Nikolay Davydenko saw off Jo-Wilfried Tsonga when the Gold Group got under way on Sunday.
World number one Rafael Nadal pulled out last week because of fatigue.
Murray takes his place in Shanghai after his most successful year on the ATP tour, with his appearance in the US Open final joining back-to-back Masters Series titles in Madrid and Cincinnati on an increasingly impressive CV.
The Britsh number one goes into Monday's match against Roddick with a 4-2 lead in career meetings with the American.
"Most matches with him are going to be tight because he serves so well, it's so difficult to break him," said the Scot.
"I'll have to make sure that I return well and serve well and hopefully the rest of the game will get me through."
Murray lost to Federer in the final of the US Open in September but recently beat him in the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters.
|
606: DEBATE
sobasi
|
The 21-year-old also beat Frenchman Simon in the final in Madrid.
"To be among the top eight players in the world is a great feeling," said Murray.
"It's my first time in Shanghai, but I have heard from all the other players that it is a fantastic tournament."
In the absence of the Nadal, world number two Federer, 27, is the highest-ranked player competing in Shanghai.
Murray reflects on a great 2008
But the Swiss, who has been struggling with a back injury, admits he does not like being described as the second-best player in the world.
"It doesn't change a whole lot, I just don't like the ring of it when I'm being introduced on Centre Court saying, 'and this is the number two in the world,'" he said.
"It just sounds wrong. Either I'm number one or I'm a Grand Slam champion, but I'm not number two.
"It just sounds a bit awkward for me because I've been up there for so, so long.
"It sounds unfamiliar but at the same time it is a challenge to get back where I was and I think next year will be a good chance.
"So I'm going to try to do everything to do that, starting here."
No comments:
Post a Comment