Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cluj's Kone seeking English move

By Barney Cullum
BBC Sport

Yssouf Kone (second right) is congratulated by teammates after scoring at Stamford Bridge
Kone's goal at Chelsea added to his strikes against Valencia and Roma
Burkina Faso's Yssouf Kone says he hopes his latest high-profile European goal, against Chelsea, will now put him in the shop window for a transfer to England.

The CFR Cluj striker's goal wasn't enough to stop the Romanian debutants from suffering a 2-1 defeat in the final Champions League fixture of their campaign on Tuesday.

However, it was another feather in the cap for a player with a fast-growing reputation.

"To score against Chelsea is something of a dream realised for me because the English Premier League is my favourite league in Europe and I do hope to move there one day," the 26-year-old forward told BBC Sport.

"It is good to be with the Romanian champions but all players want to reach the top and right now that place is England."

Kone only moved to Cluj from Norwegian side Rosenborg in the summer, but believes his tally of four goals in 11 Champions League starts over the last two seasons proves he is now ready to step up a level.

For an African, I think England is the place to be. We have the attributes to do well

Yssouf Kone
"I have scored against Valencia, Roma and now Chelsea - which is a proud moment because they are such a great side," he said.

"I am tired because Alex and John Terry are such powerful players but I am happy with the goal - even though it wasn't enough for us to win the game - and I am suited to the English game, which is fast, strong and physical.

"For an African, I think England is the place to be. We have the attributes to do well."

It was not Kone's first appearance in England in the Champions League, having played at Stamford Bridge in Rosenborg's 1-1 draw last season - a result that ultimately cost Jose Mourinho his job at Chelsea.

Although the striker stars for the Burkinabe national team, he was born in the Ivory Coast city of Korogho and sees himself as half-Ivorian.

With Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou netting Chelsea's goals, it completed a hat-trick of Ivorian goal-scorers on the night.

No comments: