Friday, December 19, 2008

Live - Champions League draw

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW (1100 GMT):

Draw will appear here

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW (all times GMT)

606: DEBATE
To get involved use 606 or text us your views & comments on 81111. (Not all contributions can be used)

By Mark Orlovac

"As a Liverpool fan I hope we draw a strong team. We don't have a problem playing against good teams, it's when we are favourites to win against lesser sides we struggle."
river21 on 606

1050: The room in Nyon is slowly filling up with the great and good of European football. Some bloke with long hair stands by the trophy to pose for pictures. Hope he's allowed to do that.

"Real Madrid v Man Utd PLEASE!!!!!!! Would be great to see what Sir Alex says after if it is!!!!!!"
snappythechaz on 606

"I love these draws. No-one really knows what's going on. Not even the funny looking blokes sitting there!
Matt at work in Epping with nothing to do, via text on 81111

"If we [Chelsea] get any team apart from Barca, it will be a succesful draw. I do hope we get Panathinaikos or the old lady of Turin."
SimpreZola on 606

"As a Liverpool fan, I fear no-one in Europe. Hopefully we'll get Inter so we can once again bin Jose out of the Champions League."
Barrie Watson via text on 81111

1041: This European extravaganza is taking place in the Swiss town of Nyon, which according to a popular web encyclopaedia (other sites are available), is a "municipality in the canton of Vaud, 25km north of Geneva". So there we are then. Any further information gratefully received.

1039: It couldn't happen could it? After this week's spat regarding a certain Cristiano Ronaldo, it would be absolutely superb if Manchester United and Real Madrid were drawn together. Sir Alex Ferguson's response to the latest comments coming out of the Spanish capital was absolute quality and I think they merit repeating here. "Would I get into a contract with that mob? Absolutely no chance," he said. "I wouldn't sell them a virus - that's a no." Genius.

1035: Here's a quick reminder of the Champions League draw format. Basically the eight group winners will take on the runners-up, with teams from the same country and pool being kept apart. The pool runners-up will be at home for the first leg, which takes place on 24/25 February, with the second leg on 10/11 March.

Now, I need you to keep me company today so I want as much chat from you as possible. Get in touch via 606 or by text on 81111.

Group winners: Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United, Panathinaikos, Porto, Roma.

Runners-up: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Lyon, Real Madrid, Sporting Lisbon, Villarreal.

"As an Arsenal fan, I would love to draw Barca or Bayern. If we win, fantastic, we've beaten one of the best teams in Europe. If we lose, then at least we'll have gone out to a team that plays football in the right way."
renoog on 606

1032: We've got a packed schedule today you lucky, lucky people. First up we have the draw for the first knockout round of the Champions League at 1100 GMT, featuring holders Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal; while Manchester City, Aston Villa and Tottenham are all involved in the Uefa Cup last 32 draw at 1200. And that is not all, oh no. At 1230, there is the draw for the Uefa Cup round of 16. It's like Christmas has arrived already.

1030: Morning football fans. Ready for the glitz, glamour and razzmatazz of the Champions League and Uefa Cup draws? Thought so. Welcome aboard.

No comments: