UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE LATEST
Group A
Chelsea 0-0 Cluj
Roma 0-0 Bordeaux
Group B
Panathinaikos 0-0 Anorthosis Famagusta
Werder Bremen 0-0 Inter Milan
Group C
Barcelona 0-0 Shakhtar Donetsk
Basle 0-0 Sporting Lisbon
Group D
Marseille 0-0 Atletico Madrid
PSV Eindhoven 0-0 Liverpool
|
606: DEBATE
|
|
By Jonathan Stevenson
|
1952: Alvaro Pereira hammers in a left-foot shot from 30 yards and although it is drifting wide, Chelsea keeper Petr Cech gets across to make a diving save, just in case.
1951: "I wish my texts would get published! I have just touched the ball that Kalou just smacked at me!"
Sarah at Stamford Bridge, via text on 81111
1949: "If Juande Ramos has gone to Real Madrid what is stopping Bernd Schuster taking over at Sunderland?"
SimpreZola on 606
Join the debate on 606
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
1947: Jon Obi Mikel receives possession 40 yards out and proceeds to lash a shot miles high and wide.
1945: We are under way in tonight's eight Champions League matches.
1944: I've just received an anonymous text from a confident Chelsea fan at Stamford Bridge telling me he has put his life savings of £8000 on the Blues to reach the knockout stages. Not confident enough to leave a name, mind. Big Phil looks unflustered too. So far.
1941: Just a thought - what an atmosphere there will be in Athens tonight at the Olympic Stadium for the Panathinaikos v Anorthosis Famagusta contest. A point separates them behind Inter Milan in Group B - it's winner takes all for last 16 qualification. Crikey.
1938: "(See 1929) I wonder if their Christmas spirit could extend to donating one more scarf, just down the road, to Jimmy Bullard, in case he's run out of them to wear whilst playing."
Daripa on 606
Join the debate on 606
1934: El Clasico fans, here's the Barcelona team for their game, spot the first-teamer: Jorquera, Victor Sanchez, Pique, Caceres, Sylvinho, Vazquez, Busquets, Keita, Pedrito, Bojan, Hleb.
1932: "I can't remember the last time I felt this unsure about qualification. Big Phil will win me over when he shows he can do more than bully small teams away from home in the league."
astrowolver on 606
Join the debate on 606
1929: Radio One's Newsbeat's David Garrido informs me that Chelsea have put a scarf on every seat inside Stamford Bridge today - more than 40,000. I wonder how many will be given away as Christmas presents in 16 days' time. It is credit crunch Britain we're living in, after all.
1927: "I've got £5 on Chelsea to draw 1-1 and Bordeaux to win 2-1 in Rome, the odds are 288/1. It's gonna be a great night for football... Scolari will be eating his words tonight. Come on! I need a holiday."
Jeet from Tottenham, via text on 81111
1924: So Joe Cole replacing the suspended Frank Lampard is Chelsea's only change from the side that beat Bolton on Saturday. Skipper John Terry starts despite being one yellow card away from a European suspension.
1921: Liverpool make seven changes from the team that beat Blackburn at the weekend. In come Diego Cavalieri, Daniel Agger, Andrea Dossena, Leiva Lucas, Albert Riera, David Ngog and Robbie Keane. Making way are Pepe Reina, Sami Hyypia, Emiliano Insua, Yossi Benayoun, Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard and Dirk Kuyt.
1917: "Luiz Felipe Scolari has resisted the temptation to pair Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba in his attempt to secure that all-important win tonight. Anelka starts, with Drogba in reserve on the bench. Joe Cole's return will give Chelsea crucial invention.
"Noisy contingent from Cluj, home of the Cheeky Girls and the team that will be aiming to bring a premature end to Chelsea's Champions League campaign.
"My prediction - a comfortable victory for a Chelsea side I have yet to see win this season."
BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Stamford Bridge
1914: Remember remember - Tuesdays mean Danny Baker, and irreverent o'clock for the Millwall-supporting darling of football fans is 2200 GMT on BBC Radio 5 Live tonight. Why not get involved with Danny latest 606 thread? I mean, why not?
Danny Baker thread on 606
1911: PSV EINDHOVEN v LIVERPOOL LINE-UPS
PSV: Isaksson, Culina, Marcellis, Brechet, Salcido, Mendez, Simons, Dzsudzsak, Bakkal, Lazovic, Amrabat. Subs: Cassio, Rodriguez, Koevermans, Pieters, Nijland, Manco, Wuytens.
Liverpool: Cavalieri, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Babel, Mascherano, Leiva Lucas, Riera, Ngog, Keane. Subs: Reina, Gerrard, Alonso, Benayoun, Spearing, Darby, Kelly.
Referee: Nikolai Ivanov (Russia).
1910: CHELSEA v CLUJ LINE-UPS
Chelsea: Cech, Ashley Cole, Terry, Alex, Bosingwa, Kalou, Deco, Mikel, Ballack, Joe Cole, Anelka. Subs: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Drogba, Bridge, Ferreira, Belletti, Stoch.
CFR Cluj-Napoca: Nuno Claro, Pereira, Hugo Alcantara, Cadu, Panin, Muresan, Dani, Culio, Trica, Dubarbier, Yssouf Kone. Subs: Hirschfeld, Peralta, Prette, Deac, De Souza, Emmanuel Kone, Ruiz.
Referee: Peter Frojdfeldt (Sweden).
1907: "At the Bridge now, not too many nerves in the air. Will start worrying if we are not at least 1-0 up at half-time."
Rob B from Clapham, via text on 81111
1904: I'll be honest with you, I'm still reeling. As I walked into the office this afternoon, I was greeted by the news that Real Madrid had sacked Bernd Schuster and replaced him with Juande Ramos, four days before 'El Clasico'. In a shameless bit of promotion, this is where I tell you La Liga fans that we at the BBC Sport website are doing live text updates of Barcelona v Real Madrid on Saturday. See you there.
Ramos replaces Schuster at Real
1900: Stevo's Champions League Predos:
Chelsea 2-1 Cluj
Roma 2-2 Bordeaux
Panathinaikos 1-1 Anorthosis Famagusta
Werder Bremen 1-2 Inter Milan
Barcelona 2-1 Shakhtar Donetsk
Basle 0-2 Sporting Lisbon
Marseille 1-1 Atletico Madrid
PSV Eindhoven 1-1 Liverpool
1857: "Dear Santa Stevo, please bring me a 7-0 Liverpool victory tonight, with all seven goals scored by our number seven. I know it isn't Christmas yet, but wee Robbie really needs some holiday cheer."
liver-brilliant-pool on 606
Join the debate on 606
1853: There's a fair bit to discuss isn't there? Isn't there always. Don't be shy, get those texts coming in on 81111 and get stuck in on 606. If you think I'm as useless as Emmanuel Eboue, feel free to boo. If you're at Stamford Bridge, I'd love to know how nervous you are/what you think about Scolari/what your prediction is. Ah, the Champions League mixer. Nothing like it.
Join the debate on 606
1849: Bordeaux could dump Chelsea out, but they will need to beat Roma in Rome to stand any chance of qualifying. What chance a surprise Italian slip-up tonight? Elsewhere, top spot in Group B is up for grabs, the Barcelona-dominated Group C is all wrapped up and there's some important jostling for position in Liverpool's Group D. It's time to go again.
1845: It's not part of Roman Abramovich's plan for world domination, is it? Chelsea, backed by the Russian billionaire, need to beat the not-to-be-underestimated Cluj of Romania in order to guarantee their place in the last 16. Having reached the final in May, that is hardly even the bare minimum requirement down at the Bridge these days. Pressure? Oh yes, there's pressure on Scolari and his players tonight. Make no mistake about that.
1840: "Pressure? You try being coach of Brazil. There, everyone is a coach. This is zero pressure." Hmm. I wonder how Luiz Felipe Scolari will feel at 2135 GMT tonight if he becomes the first Chelsea boss to fail to lead them out of the group stage of the Champions League. I wonder.
No comments:
Post a Comment