Saturday, January 31, 2009

Beleaguered Adams vows to fight

Portsmouth manager Tony Adams
Portsmouth have not won in the Premier League since November

Under-fire Portsmouth manager Tony Adams says he is fully prepared for the battle to keep his struggling side in the Premier League.

Saturday's 3-1 defeat at Fulham saw Pompey slip to 15th in the table, just one point above the relegation zone.

"I'll pick us up and get on with the next game and rally the troops. I don't run away," Adams told BBC Sport.

"I'll fight and these players have to fight and stay together. It's a scrap, but I'll be scrapping."

The defeat at Craven Cottage was Portsmouth's sixth in seven games and left the club without a Premier League win since their 3-2 victory over Blackburn on 30 November.

Portsmouth have won just two of their 15 Premier League games since Adams took charge back in October.

But when asked if he was worried about his managerial future, the former Arsenal defender and England captain replied: "No, I don't think so.

606: DEBATE
Kanu37
"It is all good at the moment. I do my job to the best of my ability. It has been a tough period. The last two months have been difficult, both on and off the pitch."

Portsmouth sold key striker Jermain Defoe and midfielder Lassana Diarra this month, while a number of other players have been linked with moves away from Fratton Park.

Adams admitted he would be "delighted" when the transfer window closed, but added he wanted to make a few signings before 2 February.

"Heads have been turned up and down the country. Once it is closed we can get on with business," he said.

Adams aggrieved by Pompey mistakes

"I didn't have many options on the bench. But I think David Nugent will get a chance, he worked his socks off.

"But we need a couple of players as I am limited to what I can do.

"Jermaine Pennant is suspended for the next game and he's also got a knock at the moment so I am running out of players.

"The situation has changed at the football club. I've not been given £100m to spend in this window that's for sure, but you get on with the squad you've got."

No comments: