Saturday, February 28, 2009

In-form Venus seals Mexican title

Venus Williams
Venus plans to give the hat to her father, Richard Williams

Venus Williams won her second title in seven days as she beat Italy's Flavia Pennetta in the final of the Mexican Open in Acapulco on Saturday.

The American followed up last week's win in Dubai with a 6-1 6-1 defeat of second seed Pennetta on the clay.

Williams has now won 41 career titles, and 20 of her last 21 matches.

"I started the week very tough, I had such difficult matches - three three-setters in a row, each more difficult than the last," said Williams.

"I think I deserved this win tonight. I played hard all week and tonight my serve and my game all came together.

"I loved coming to Mexico and winning my 41st title here. I hope to be back next year to defend it."

606: DEBATE
Pennetta, playing in her sixth straight Acapulco final having won the title in 2005 and 2008, said: "What happened to me? Venus Williams is what happened to me.

"The number five player in the world is what happened to me!

"She was just playing so strong, serving so well, it was hard to fight against her power. I didn't feel I played badly, she just overpowered me."

Spain's Nicolas Almagro beat second seed Gael Monfils of France 6-4 6-4 to successfully defend the men's title.

No comments: