Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ford pulls out of England running

Graham Ford
Ford has English county and international experience

Kent's Graham Ford has withdrawn from the running to become England's next coach after becoming frustrated by the delay in making an appointment.

The South African was a leading candidate to replace Peter Moores, who was sacked in January.

"I thought it would be sorted out a lot quicker than it has been," the 48-year-old Ford told the Guardian.

"I was invited on the shortlist and told I would be interviewed. But I withdrew my name two days ago."

Former South Africa coach Ford, who became Kent's director of cricket in 2004, feels that the England and Wales Cricket Board have spent too long considering their options.

And he believes the new England coach will now have insufficient time to prepare for the Ashes series against Australia in June.

"The Ashes is such an important series that you need a proper run at it, " he added. "Duncan Fletcher [former England cricket coach] told me that he had a year or more to prepare for the Ashes in 2005.

"But there are a number of factors. I like things to be done properly and I am already well into my preparations with Kent for the new season."

England have been without a permanent head coach since Moores's sacking, which followed a high-profile falling out with then captain Kevin Pietersen.

England assistant coach Andy Flower has been in temporary charge of the team but has failed to win a match all winter as England have struggled in the West Indies.

Current South Africa coach Mickey Arthur remains in the frame after saying on Friday: "I find it very hard to believe that any ambitious coach would rule himself out completely."

West Indies coach John Dyson has also been linked with the England job.

Australians John Buchanan and Tom Moody have, however, already said that they would not be interested.

No comments: