Saturday, March 28, 2009

Kjeldsen storms into Seville lead

Soren Kjeldsen
Kjeldsen won the Volvo Masters at Valderrama in November

Denmark's Soren Kjeldsen carded a stunning 10-under-par 62 to race to the top of the leaderboard on day three of the Andalucian Open in Seville.

The round broke the course record by one and shaved a stroke off Kjeldsen's lowest-ever score on the European Tour.

The Dane holed seven successive birdies to turn a five-stroke deficit into a four-shot lead on 14 under par.

Scots David Drysdale and Alastair Forsyth moved into second and third but Colin Montgomerie could only card a 75.

Ryder Cup captain Montgomerie, who was one behind the leader after a superb opening round, struggled on Saturday and slipped down the leaderboard to two under overall.

Kjeldsen will make his Masters debut on 6 April and only qualified for the tournament at Augusta by finishing 50th in the world rankings last year - by one-hundredth of a point.

"I was told I was in by a guy who writes a website in Denmark if Richard Sterne won in South Africa I would be 51st," Kjeldsen commented.

606: DEBATE

"I watched him make tons of birdies on the back nine, then win in a play-off, so went on a 10-mile run on the beach screaming and shouting.

"I came back, settled down, went to bed and then the same guy rang at midnight to say he had it wrong and I was in.

"I was completely drained, but it's a dream to play there and I already have the invitation framed."

He will go in good form too. Two weeks ago he finished seventh in the WGC-CA Championship in Miami.

No comments: