Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sackey set to miss season start

Wasps wing Paul Sackey
Sackey has scored 11 tries in 22 Tests

Wasps wing Paul Sackey says he is unlikely to be fit in time for the start of the new season as he continues his recovery from a broken leg.

The 29-year-old fractured his leg playing for England in February's Six Nations defeat by Ireland.

"I haven't started running yet and it may be that I miss one or two games at the start of the season," he said.

"But that's better than rushing back too quickly and maybe suffering another injury as a result."

The injury, which occurred in the second half of the Croke Park contest, forced Sackey out of England's summer fixtures as well as the British and Irish Lions series in South Africa.

He played in a Premiership match for Wasps against Bristol in April in a last-ditch attempt to prove his fitness but broke down after just 10 minutes, X-rays confirming he had broken his fibula.

606: DEBATE

But Sackey, who was demoted from England's elite player squad to the Saxons for the new season, says his recovery is progressing well.

"I flew to Poland last week to join the club's pre-season training and continue my rehab with sessions in the pool and in the special cryotherapy chamber they have out there," he added.

"My leg was broken in two places last season but it is healing well.

"When you set a date you put much more pressure on yourself. I'm not putting any dates in my head, I'm taking it steadily and not rushing.

"As soon as the leg is strong and ready to go out there, that's when my date is. When I come back I want to be 100% and hopefully fitter, stronger and faster than ever."

Meanwhile, Wasps have been hit by the news that prop Jason Hobson ruptured his Achilles in training.

The new signing from Bristol has undergone surgery and is expected to be out for six months.

Fly-half Danny Cipriani has had a plate removed from his ankle and is hoping to be fit for the start of the new season.

Wasps take on Harlequins as part of the Twickenham double-header on Saturday, 5 September.


Compare Drugs | Dirt Cheap Cigarettes

No comments: