Sunday, September 13, 2009

Awesome Bolt ends season in style

Usain Bolt
Bolt was in supreme form once again as he coasted home in Greece

Usain Bolt completed a memorable season with a typically smooth 200m victory at the World Athletics Final in Greece.

The 23-year-old Jamaican won three golds at the World Championships, with 100 and 200m records within four days.

In his final event of 2009 he equalled the championship record with 19.68, coasting ahead of Wallace Spearman.

Britain's Jenny Meadows was third in the women's 800m, while Nicola Sanders and Christine Ohuruogu were fourth and sixth respectively in the women's 400m.

Bolt, who warmed up in customarily laconic fashion with air guitar whilst Zorba the Greek played over the public address system, was drawn in lane five.

After a false start by Britain's Marlon Devonish, Bolt surged round the bend before easing down at the finish.

Devonish, who was sixth in 20.85, said: "I'm very pleased to be here. I don't know how he does it, I wish I did!"

Bolt himself said: "I knew I had one more good race in me and I gave it my best.

"I'm going back home to celebrate and chill out until training starts again in November.

"I didn't expect this because I'm really tired and the endurance training didn't go too well in the early part of the year, but I'm really happy."

American Sanya Richards struggled round the top bend in the women's 400, before battling through to win in 49.95 seconds.

Sanders clocked 51.01 and said: "Coming home I thought 'I've got a bit left' and I went for it so I'm quite pleased, but I definitely want to improve next year."

Ohuruogu ran 51.42 and commented: "It's been very much an up and down year. I lost a lot of momentum with my injury but at least it has taught me about how to manage my injuries."

Britain's Chris Tomlinson was a distant seventh in the long jump, recording 7.85m as Australia's Fabrice Lapierre won the four-jump competition with 8.33.

No comments: