Sunday, January 31, 2010

Reluctant Sauber launches new car

Sauber C29
Sauber F1 Team launched the Ferrari-engined C29 in Cheste near Valencia

Peter Sauber admitted he is a reluctant owner as he unveiled his team's car for the new Formula 1 season.

The 66-year-old Swiss took control back after four years out of the sport when BMW withdrew from F1 after last season.

And Sauber said: "I would have preferred for it to have stayed the way it was. It was nice."

The new C29 car, which uses Ferrari engines but has white livery devoid of major sponsors, will be driven by Pedro de la Rosa and Kamui Kobayashi.

Sauber, who started the team in 1993 with a relatively modest budget of $30m, launched the car at Valencia's Ricardo Torno circuit.

"I had a nice, easy time over the last four years, and this is now a big challenge for me to be back," he said.

I don't plan to stay for another five years, but at the moment I'm also not looking to sell the team

Peter Sauber

"This season is financially secure but we have to look for new sponsors, not just for 2010 but 2011 and more."

And Sauber admitted that a sense of duty has forced him to step in again.

"When I realised I had to start all over again the feeling was very bad," he said.

"I was absolutely sure I would not stay in Formula 1, but please understand, I don't have any problems with F1.

"After 36 very, very hard years in motorsport, that life was okay for me.

"I don't plan to stay for another five years, but at the moment I'm also not looking to sell the team.

"After four years with BMW the team has a brilliant infrastructure, and we also have very good management.

606: DEBATE
bringbackmontoya

"I won't be involved in the daily business, but I will be going to all races."

Sauber had previously ran his own marque successfully for 13 years prior to selling an 80% stake to BMW in 2005.

Meanwhile, De la Rosa, who has not competed in a grand prix for over three years, believes he will regularly be in the points this season.

"I'm really excited about this comeback with a great team," said the Spaniard, who had previously been on McLaren's books since 2002 as their test and reserve driver.

"I will personally be disappointed if we are not consistently in the points.

"It's a gut feeling I get when I look at the car and when I work with the people."

No comments: