Thursday, September 2, 2010

Farah out of Commonwealth Games

Mo Farah wins European 10,000m gold

Highlights - Farah storms to Euro 10,000m gold

Double European champion Mo Farah has announced his withdrawal from the Commonwealth Games because of fatigue.

The 27-year-old, who won gold for Great Britain in the 5,000m and 10,000m at the European Championships in Barcelona, said he needed a rest.

Farah, who recently broke the British 5,000m record, was due to represent England in both events at next month's Commonwealth Games in India.

But he said: "My body is telling me it is time to take a break."

Farah has enjoyed his best-ever track season this year, storming to gold ahead of fellow Briton Chris Thompson in the European 10,000m, before adding the 5,000m crown four days later.

In May, the Somalian-born athlete set a new British road record for the 10k and last month became the first Briton to run under 13 minutes for the 5,000m when he shattered David Moorcroft's 28-year-old record at the Diamond League meeting in Zurich.

Farah said: "I had a great 2010 season and my body is telling me that it is time to take a break from training and racing.

606: DEBATE

"I have been competing since the start of the year at cross-country, road and track and feel that I need a few weeks off now to let my body recover so that I can start winter training fit and healthy.

"Over the past few weeks I have been getting a few niggles, nothing serious but enough to tell me to ease back.

"I was looking forward to the Commonwealth Games in Delhi but after the success I had this year I am happy to call it a season.

"I look forward to the 2011 World Championships in Daegu and the 2012 Olympic Games in my home city of London.

"I came close to getting a medal in the past two World Championships and hope that I can continue to improve over the next few years."

Potenshöjande medel - köp cilais online

No comments: