Monday, September 6, 2010

Live text - US Open day eight

LIVE TEXT COMMENTARY (all times BST)

To get involved use Twitter, 606 or text us on 81111 (UK) or 44 7786200666 (worldwide) with TENNIS before your message. (Not all contributions can be used. Messages charged at your standard operator rate.)

By Mark Ashenden

France
1647: In the umpire's chair today is the great Pranav Soneji who is beavering away, supplying me with facts, figures and other nonsense such as acquiring me chocolate nibbles. In the mean time, he's sent me his chat on le French boys. "The Gallic extravaganza currently on offer on Louis Armstrong between world number 19 Gael Monfils and Richard Gasquet, ranked 19 places below his compatriot, means France will have their first quarter-finalist at Flushing Meadows since Arnaud Clement some 10 years ago. These two fellas have played each other on four occasions (all on hard courts) during their career - and both have two victories apiece. Monfils has the advantage having won their last match-up in Metz last year, but Gasquet won their one and only meeting in a Grand Slam (at the 2007 Australian Open). Pick a winner from those stats and you're a better wo/man than I. Eastern Europeans to come..."
If you've got anything you want Soneji to look up, or any stats you want him to dig out then let me know. If he's not too busy, I'm sure he'll oblige. He's nice like that.

It's good news for a Briton
1644: I'll jump back into my Flushing Meadows chopper for a round-up of the courts. Kuznetsova leads Cibulkova 3-2 with just the one break of serve. Monfils leads Gasquet 4-3 in the great French battle. Britain's Laura Robson storms to take the first set in the juniors, 6-2 in 30 minutes.

1638: A quick reminder of the later games from midnight o'clockish - Zvonareva v Petkovic, followed by the mighty Feds v Melzer.

Text in your views on 81111
Martin from sunny Denmark, via text 81111: "Come on Monfils! I really think he can do some damage"
Great to hear from you. You mention it's sunny there like it wouldn't normally be sunny. Always nice to have your weather updates though. Who's having the best weather out there? Any snow anywhere? Any hailing cats and dogs?

1633: And I know Andy Murray is a professional tennis player, but the poor bloke is going to be asked this same question every bloomin' time until he gets a major event under his belt. Oh the joys of being Britain's best player. "I have no idea of whether I'll win a Grand Slam or not. I want to but if I never win one, then what? If I give 100%, try my best, physically work as hard as I can, practice as much as I can, then that's all I can do." Can he ever win one? Of course he bloomin' can. Will he? What do you reckon? Murray says it's been "a long year" and his top priority now is "rest" and thinking about a "new coach". Here's the deal. You're Murray's adviser. What would you say to him? Over to you.

Twitter
ktdude on Twitter: "Fish v Djok is one tasty match-up. I fancy Mardy to break the duck and beat Nole for the first time. It's gonna be a hot one!"

Latest scores
France
1629: Quick updates. Kuznetsova is already a break up and leads Cibulkova 2-1. French 17th seed Gael Monfils is 1-1 with Gasquet and a line-call goes his way to give him break point. And a double-fault from Gasquet hands Monfils first blood. He leads 2-1 and is about to serve. And Laura Robson is flying. The Brit leads 4-1. Great start.


Twitter
thepeacegarden on Twitter: "Have you forgotten Laura - playing now - how could you?"
Oh cripes. Laura. Lovely Laura. How could I indeed? I'll tell you. Here's my excuses - too busy drinking my coffee, chomping on my peanuts, chasing my editor, my dodgy eyes were distracted by Andy Murray's quotes. Delete as applicable. Yep - GB's Laura Robson is playing RIGHT NOW against Anna Karolina Schmiedlova in the junior girls opening round. Forgiven?

1619: Just as Richard Gasquet and Gael Monfils warm up on Louis Armstrong, may I put this to you? What do you make of all the Murray fall-out? Not fit enough? Something he ate? Shocking body language? Beaten by a better player? In need of a coach to fight in his corner? Bit unlucky? Or you just don't know? Tell me. He doesn't seem to know himself. Here's what Murray said: "I haven't been really tired in any long matches for a long, long time. So whether it was fatigue or not, I don't know." What do you reckon?

1614: I want your thoughts. I can't be any more direct than that. But I really do. Tweet me @bbcsport_mark, text me on 81111 (UK) or +44 7786200666 (worldwide) with TENNIS before your message, or join the banter on 606.

It's good news for a Briton
1610: And the British flag is still flapping. Following Oliver Golding's win yesterday in the first round of the juniors, it's time for George Morgan to wiggle his racquet and he plays Roberto Quiroz. Keep an eye out for that.

1608: More about the Muzz in a tick, but let me tell you who's playing today. First up on Arthur Ashe is Svetlana Kuznetsova vs Dominika Cibulkova. Then it's time for the big boys. American Mardy Fish vs Novak Djokovic. That my friends, should be a cracker. The next match promises to be a whole box of crackers. Caroline Wozniacki vs Maria Sharapova. The young pretender facing the old-timer (at the age of 23). Under the lights later on, it will be Vera Zvonareva and Roger Federer. Not playing together obviously. Although that could be interesting. What more could you possibly want? Seriously, you should be paying me for this line-up.

1558: Anybody with a Murray hangover? It always seems a little flat when Britain's top tennis act is dumped off the stage. But HEY - WAKEY WAKEY the world moves on. The US Open moves on. Murray WILL move on. Let's all move on. Today is another day. Tennis. Are you still up for some live action or what?



Potenshöjande medel - köp cilais online

No comments: