Sunday, October 31, 2010

Don't write off Tiger - Westwood

Lee Westwood
Westwood is Europe's first world number one since Nick Faldo in 1994

Newly crowned world number one Lee Westwood insists his predecessor Tiger Woods should not be written off.

Westwood, who ended Woods's 281-week reign at the top on Sunday, said: "He has gone away and come back before."

Woods has struggled for form since taking an extended break from the game to deal with personal issues.

Any one of Woods, Phil Mickelson and Martin Kaymer could depose Westwood when all four contest the WGC-HSBC Champions event in Shanghai this week.

"It's an exciting time for golf," Westwood told the BBC News Channel. "It could be a real sub-text to the tournament.

"If anyone can put a run together it's so close they could take the number one spot.

"But it's taken me a long time to reach world number one, I'm not going to worry about who I am going to lose it to."

Westwood, who has been sidelined by a calf injury since helping Europe win the Ryder Cup last month, was confirmed as the new world number one after Germany's Kaymer failed to secure the top-two finish that would have seen him usurp Woods.

And the Englishman revealed that he was running an errand for his wife when he was told the news.

"I'd been sent to the supermarket to buy some mash potatoes and something else when my caddie rang me to tell me Martin Kaymer wasn't playing very well and I was about to be world number one," he said.

"It took me a while to find my shopping after that. It was on of those quiet moments where you have a little smile to yourself."

Potenshöjande medel -

No comments: