Friday, October 8, 2010

Flynn rues 'damaging' Wales loss

Wales boss Brian Flynn looks on in the defeat to Bulgaria
Wales boss Brian Flynn looks on in the defeat to Bulgaria

Wales caretaker-manager Brian Flynn admits Wales' Euro 2012 qualification hopes were "severely damaged" by the 1-0 home defeat to Bulgaria on Friday.

He also conceded that his own chances of getting the manager's job on a permanent basis have been "dented".

"Painful is my way of describing it, we've learnt so many lessons in the heat of the battle," said Flynn.

"We became a little bit predictable and when you are predictable the opposition find it easy to deal with."

Ivelin Popov struck the winner for Bulgaria three minutes after the break, quick feet in the box allowing him to fire in off the post despite the attentions of three Wales defenders.

Wales have now lost their opening two Group G games and face Switzerland in Basel on Tuesday hoping to get the first points of the campaign.

"Our hopes have been severely damaged," added Flynn. "It was going to be tough.

"There will be changes [for Switzerland], the team will be younger, that's for certain."

And as for his own hopes of succeeding John Toshack as the next permanent Wales boss, Flynn added: "Personally, the defeat has dented it.

"I've had a bit of a head start but now I've been reined back a bit now."

Bulgaria boss Lothar Matthaus, also new to his role, praised his side's response after the break.

"We started very badly in the first half," he said. "I felt we didn't play with passion and I was happy to go in 0-0 at half time.

"I spoke very critically to my players because when you play for the national tea, you have to give everything and play with your heart.

"We came out completely differently and I congratulate my players, but we can never be satisfied. My dream is to qualify for Euro 2012."

Potenshöjande medel - köp cilais online

No comments: