|
Lewsey made his debut on England's "Tour from Hell" in 1998
|
Josh Lewsey, a World Cup winner with England in 2003, has announced his retirement from international rugby.
Wasps' Lewsey, 32, won 55 caps, the last of which was in last year's World Cup semi-final against France.
England manager Martin Johnson overlooked Lewsey for the autumn internationals having included him in the initial elite player squad.
Lewsey, who played wing and full-back for England, scored 22 tries in an international career spanning 10 years.
Lewsey scored his side's only try in England's 14-9 win over France last October before limping off with an damaged hamstring, an injury which forced him to miss out on his second World Cup final.
Lewsey said: "I spoke with Martin on the phone earlier this week and as he didn't consider me to be an integral part of his immediate team moving forward, I have decided that I would be better served committing myself entirely to my club, London Wasps.
|
I know from first-hand experience what an asset Josh was to England
England manager Martin Johnson
|
"After 55 caps, many training sessions and a vast amount of laughter I'd like to thank all the coaches, medics and especially the players that have made my England career so memorable over the past ten years.
"Playing, but more importantly winning, for your country is the most special feeling one can achieve. My last game for England was the semi-final of the World Cup in Paris last year and scoring the game's only try was in hindsight a fitting moment to last wear a national jersey.
"I feel therefore that I can have a more positive influence at Wasps throughout this important time if I am consistently here and have made the decision to focus my efforts solely on the club's campaigns.
|
606: DEBATE
|
"Lastly it is still a huge goal of mine to be part of a winning Lions tour. Therefore, my decision is also made in that I believe performing well in a successful club team week in and week out gives me the best chance possible of being selected for next year's Lions Tour."
Martin Johnson said: "While I'm disappointed I fully understand the reasons behind his decision and on behalf of the England squad I'd like to wish him every success with his continuing career with London Wasps.
"I know from first-hand experience what an asset Josh was to England over an international career that spanned 10 years, over 50 caps and two Rugby World Cups, including the RWC 2003 final, and it was a pleasure to play alongside him."
No comments:
Post a Comment