Sunday, February 1, 2009

Monty seeks advice from Ferguson

Colin Montgomerie
Montgomerie has reiterated that he will be a non-playing captain

Colin Montgomerie wants to tap into Sir Alex Ferguson's knowledge to help him captain Europe in the 2010 Ryder Cup.

Former captain Sam Torrance consulted the Manchester United boss in 2002, and Montgomerie hopes Ferguson's insights can have a similar impact next year.

"I have great respect for the captaincy of Sam Torrance in 2002," the 42-year-old told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"He so rightly learnt from another great Scot in Sir Alex and I might well be doing the same thing."

Ferguson is the most successful manager in the history of British football, winning 10 Premier League titles, two Champions League trophies, five FA Cups and two League Cups with United, while he also won silverware in Scotland with Aberdeen.

And Montgomerie is keen to gain the benefit of Ferguson's incredible track record of building winning teams for next year's event at Celtic Manor.

"Why not use the knowledge that others have gained over the years?" he added.

"You never stop learning and I am very new to this. I want to learn and I want to the best job possible and to walk away from Wales, whatever the result, having given exactly 100%."

Montgomerie will lead Europe for the first time after pipping 2008 vice-captain Jose Maria Olazabal to the role.

606: DEBATE
drive4show
The Scot is an eight-time Ryder Cup veteran and he added that he will relish being captain, but reiterated that he will not combine the captaincy with a playing role.

"I am going to enjoy it," he said.

"Pressure is only put on some that are in a position where they are not enjoying themselves.

"The more I enjoy myself in this role, the better I will be so, I am looking forward to every moment of it.

"I have already said that I will not be competing in the 2010 Ryder Cup whatever happens. I am the captain and my points of qualification will be nullified, simple as that.

"You cannot do both and I don't want to be in an embarrassing position just in case I was ever close to making the team."

No comments: