Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Forward Feaunati lands film role

Zak Feaunati
Feaunati made 131 appearances for Bath before retiring last year

Former Bath forward Zak Feaunati is to appear in a Hollywood film which tells the true story of how Nelson Mandela used rugby union to unite South Africa.

Clint Eastwood will direct the as yet untitled film, which stars Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman as Mandela.

Feaunati, who coaches rugby at a school in the Midlands, said: "I had to talk about myself for the casting director, and then she asked me to do the haka.

"I might have scared one or two of the ladies, but I guess it did the trick."

The film will tell how Mandela rallied South Africa's underdog rugby team to win the World Cup on home soil in 1995.

606: DEBATE
BBC Sport's Peter Scrivener

Feaunati, who won 13 international caps for Samoa, was born and raised in New Zealand and will play one of the All Blacks team who were beaten by the Springboks in the final.

"The first call I got about it was from my old team-mate [Bath prop and Professional Rugby Players' Association chairman] David Barnes, asking me if I wanted to be in a Clint Eastwood film, so I was 99% sure it was a prank," said Feaunati.

"But when I got a further call from the PRA offices, it dawned on me that maybe this was serious."

The number eight, who is now Head of Rugby at Bishop Vesey's Grammar School in Sutton Coldfield, played for London Irish and Leeds before joining Bath in 2003.

He made 131 appearances for the club before retiring in the summer of 2008.

No comments: