Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Olazabal unsure of Ryder Cup role

Jose Maria Olazabal
Olazabal is uncertain whether he will make the Ryder Cup team as a player

Jose Maria Olazabal may not take up the role of vice-captain for the 2010 European Ryder Cup team.

Captain Colin Montgomerie announced two weeks' ago that a deal had been agreed with the 43-year-old Spaniard.

But Olazabal insisted he has not made a definite decision, saying: "Maybe my English is not good as I made [my position] clear to Monty in January.

"I will make every effort to make the team as a player, if that's not the case we will have to have a chat."

Montgomerie, however, remains under the impression that the agreement is in place.

606: DEBATE

"We've had a conversation that he will be involved in the Ryder Cup one way or another," he said.

"I would love him to be playing on the team because the passion he brings is second to none, but if not he will be there in an administrative role, which will be vice-captain.

"I have had that conversation."

Olazabal - who worked alongside former Ryder Cup captain Nick Faldo in Louisville last September - has battled rheumatism in recent years but believes he can still make an impact as a player.

"I'm not going to say I'm 100%, but if there are no drastic changes I feel I might be able to go to The Masters.

"The different medicine I'm on seems to be doing the job, but that is temporary.

"I'm taking anti-inflammatories for both my shoulders, but I don't feel as tired as I used to."

Olazabal and Montgomerie are both hoping to improve their rankings in time for the Ryder Cup.

Olazabal is currently 594th in the world while Montgomerie sits in 137th place.

The 45-year-old Scot had only three top-10 finishes all last season - his worst return since his rookie season of 1988.

No comments: