Friday, March 27, 2009

Harrington laments missed chances

SECOND ROUND LEADERBOARD:
-8 S O'Hair (Usa) -5 J Gore (Usa) -4 R Allenby (Aus), R Imada (Jap) -3 T Woods (Usa)
Selected others: -2 P Harrington (Ire) -1 G McDowell (NI)


Padraig Harrington (right) and Tiger Woods (left)
Harrington and Woods are chasing down run-away leader O'Hair

Padraig Harrington was frustrated with his putting after he carded a two-under-par 68 in his second round at the Arnold Palmer Invitational in Orlando.

Harrington is six shots off American Sean O'Hair, who heads the leaderboard on eight under after a blistering five under par in his second round.

"I missed three birdie putts the last six holes and three-putted the last," lamented Harrington.

Tiger Woods relied on his short game to keep him in touch on three under par.

Harrington, the reigning British Open and USPGA Champion, will go for his third successive major at the Masters in two weeks and insisted he was happy with his overall performance.

"I'm still happy enough with the score. I worked hard to shoot 70 yesterday and today I shot 68 and felt it should have been a few (strokes better).

"The longest par putt I had was on the last green. I didn't put myself in much trouble all day. I missed the odd green but generally had an easy chip and putt."

606: DEBATE
David Tee

In contrast to Harrington, Woods continued to struggle off the tee but made up for it with some sublime chipping and putting.

"I didn't hit the ball as well as I'd like to, but I grinded my way along and had two chip-ins, which was nice," Wood commented.

"When I came back (from knee surgery) at Match Play I didn't feel my short game was very good.

"It got a little better every day at Doral and this week's it's even better. It's just getting my feel back."

O'Hair, who opened with a 67 on Thursday, moved into the lead with three birdies in a row from the 10th tee.

Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell improved two shots on his opening 71 to reach level par after 36 holes while England's Oliver Wilson fired an even-par 70 to remain at two over heading into the weekend with the projected cut mark at four over par.

Fellow Englishman Justin Rose turned around his disappointing opening round with three-under to leave him level with McDowell.

On the way home are Englishmen Greg Owen, at eight over after a second-round 72 and Ian Poulter, who added a 73 to his 77 to finish his tournament at 10 over.

England's Ross Fisher is also on his way out but after being disqualified after incorrectly signing for a three instead of a four on the 14th.

No comments: