Friday, March 27, 2009

Live - Australian GP practice

LIVE TEXT COMMENTARY (all times GMT)

By Sam Lyon

To get involved text us on 81111 with FORMULA 1 before your message. (Not all contributions can be used; UK mobiles only; network rates apply)

0244: "I'm up with you till the end of qualifying! Got the whole weekend off work, hoping Lewis can come good today and find some pace."
Piotrish, London

0241: "Am I the only one feeling that Hamilton is just a little bit spoilt? First sign of trouble and he's already talking about leaving. Didn't see Button acting like this over the last couple of years. Come on Brawn GP -Phoenix from the flames!!"
Alistair, Sheffield

0237:
Nico Rosberg

Replay - Australian GP second practice

...it didn't, unfortunately. Hamilton came out for second practice with renewed vigour, only to realise that cutting a second and a half off his best lap of first practice was only actually good enough to slip two places down the pecking order. Nico Rosberg was again the man to beat as Williams, Brawn GP and Toyota all underlined the importance of a car's rear diffuser. I think we all learned something.

0233:
Nelson Piquet Jr

Replay - Australian GP first practice

Now then, I'm willing to bet there are some of you hoodlums who missed yesterday's two practices... am I right? I'll forgive you this once, but let's not let it happen again, OK? I'm not having this "I have other things going on in my life" excuse, rubbish. Here's a summary of first practice; the Williams duo Nico Rosberg and Kazuki Nakajima set the pace, with Brawn GP and Ferrari also impressing, while Heikki Kovalainen out-paced McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton by almost two seconds. I'd love to tell you things got better for Britain's reigning champion, but...

0229: Here's the full 'sp' on that Virgin-Brawn GP link-up I promised you. Brawn GP chief executive Nick Fry said: "Virgin is paying to sponsor the car and it might evolve into more," with Sir Richard Branson adding: "Virgin are trying to build the most respected brand in the world and an involvement with a great team will help that."
Virgin to sponsor Brawn F1 team

0226: "Whatever the ruling... isn't it nice to see a different top three? No real difference, just not Ferrari, McLaren etc. Just a thought."
Jason, Newquay

0222: "Barrichello is the man; the most experienced driver ever, a competitive car, and what could be his last try for the title! He'll go for it!"
Dave Manchester

0219:

The sneak preview

Nearly 20 minutes into the commentary and I haven't even mentioned the other big news of the day - it's the return of the BBC F1 credits baby! A few of my mates have been telling me they have waited 12 years to cast their ears to the sounds of "The Chain". I wondered why they didn't just go out and buy the Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits, but then maybe I need a bit more romance in my life.
Sneak preview of our new F1 TV title sequence

0215: "I'm going to be up 'til the race day ends with a good supply of Red Bull. Anyone want some?"
Haroon from Glasgow

0212: And the other breaking news to bring you good people is that Virgin has confirmed a "substantial sponsorship deal" with Brawn GP. We'll bring you the full story on that shortly. Not the quietest start to a day's commentary ever, I won't lie. Don't you just love it!

0209: First things first - the 'diffuser three' row continues to rumble on, with the FIA confirming that it will sit to hear the appeal against the decision to declare the Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams cars legal on 14 April - meaning the results of this weekend's GP and the Malaysian GP will be subject to the outcome of that appeal hearing. I guess it's not the opening of an F1 season without some sort of controversy is it? It's like forming a Village People tribute band without the aid of false moustaches and easy access to your local fancy dress shop - it just aint done.
Date set for F1 diffuser appeal

0205: As always, I want you all to get involved in a massive way, so let me know your thoughts via text on 81111 . Any thoughts on yesterday's practice? Who's going to take pole later on today? Any tips on staying awake through the night to keep tabs on what promises to be a sensational Grand Prix? Let me make you famous...

0200: Morning folks. Well, morning if, like me, you're in the UK... more of a good afternoon if you're lucky enough to be in Melbourne awaiting third practice and qualifying today. I don't know about you but I have a feeling we'll have a bit of a tear-up today. Whatever we thought we knew about the old order has been well and truly re-written and over the next few hours we may just get confirmation that the likes of Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams are the new big dogs in town. Or can Ferrari, Renault, BMW Sauber and, less likely, McLaren find their pace when they need it most? We shall see...

No comments: