Sunday, September 13, 2009

Del Potro thrashes Nadal in semis

US OPEN
Venue: Flushing Meadows, New York Date: 31 August - 14 September
BBC coverage: Live text commentaries on the website from 1600 BST each day, regular updates on 5 live, full commentary on 5 live sports extra in week two, both finals on 5 live. Live on Sky Sports and Eurosport.


Juan Martin del Potro
Del Potro is into a Grand Slam final for the first time

Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro hammered world number three Rafael Nadal to reach his first Grand Slam final at the US Open.

The 20-year-old sixth seed played magnificently as he overpowered the Spaniard 6-2 6-2 6-2.

He will face defending champion Roger Federer or fourth seed Novak Djokovic in Monday's final, with the second semi-final to follow later on Sunday.

"This is my favourite tournament," said Del Potro afterwards.

"The stadium, the crowd, and I'm very close to my dream of winning this tournament. I think this is the best moment my life.

"I was so focused in every moment because Rafa is so strong, he can run for five hours, six hours."

No comments: