Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Gay to have surgery after season

Tyson Gay

Gay storms to 100m win on Monday

American sprinter Tyson Gay has confirmed he will have surgery on his groin at the end of the season.

Gay has been struggling with the injury all summer but still ran 9.71 seconds in the World Championship 100 metres to claim a silver medal behind Usain Bolt.

Gay clocked 10.15 to win the British Grand Prix in Gateshead on Monday.

"I've been running on one leg," said Gay. "I'll have a couple more meetings then I'll go and get surgery. I really believe I can get back to my best."

Gay, 27, ran the third-fastest time in history in the 100 metres in Berlin last month but was forced to pull out of the 200 metres as Bolt posted his second world record of the championships.

Gay remains determined to provide a genuine threat to the Jamaican superstar in future seasons.

"I'm really looking forward to racing him throughout my career," added Gay. "He's a great competitor."

The highlight of Gay's career came at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka when he won golds in the 100m, 200m and 4x100 relay.

No comments: