Monday, August 30, 2010

Ospreys prop Jones fit for season

Duncan Jones has made 114 appearances for the Ospreys
Duncan Jones has made 115 appearances for the Ospreys

Ospreys and Wales prop Duncan Jones will be available for the start of the season after recovering from a foot injury sustained in December.

The tight-head, 31, has suffered no ill-effects since starting running sessions in early July.

Jones' availability will be a boost as the Ospreys begin their Magners League defence at Ulster on Friday night.

"Duncan... will be available for game time at the start of the season," said Ospreys head physio Chris Towers.

The Ospreys are without James Hook, Ryan Jones and Tom Smith, while Mike Phillips is doubtful for the trip to Ravenhill.

However, back-row Jerry Collins has been passed fit this week and the possibility of 57-cap Wales prop Jones also being available will boost the options of Ospreys coach Sean Holley.

Jones, who has made 115 Ospreys appearances, suffered the injury to his right foot in a league win against Munster in December.

I have to fight for my place now

Wales and Ospreys prop Duncan Jones

But when the plaster was removed in February Jones' hopes of a rapid return were dashed as he was told he needed further surgery, but he is now eager to get back on the field.

"The injury has healed well and I'm pretty confident. It feels good, it feels strong and there hasn't been any bad reaction," Jones said.

"The sooner the better [to start playing again] as far as I'm concerned, but I realise that it'll be when the physio and the coaches feel is right for me.

"I have to fight for my place now. There are boys who have stepped in that have been playing well so it's up to me keep working hard, fight for the opportunity to play and show the coaches that I'm ready."

Potenshöjande medel -

No comments: